Friday, January 11, 2013

Time for Another - "Let's Get Rid of That Word!!"

Dear Diary:

It's the time of year when Lake Superior State University publishes their should-be-banished word list.  Words that are often overused or misused in the language are suggested for elimination in our everyday speech.  I looked back at my post last year and still hear those fingers-down-the-blackboard-words used.  Here are some words from 2013 list:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's the problem with the word "guru". It's used for everyone who is considered an expert in their field. The LSSU website has a good quote "Unless you're teaching transcendental meditation, Hinduism or Buddhism, please don't call yourself a guru!"  How true is that!

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 




I'm really tired of listening to the news and hear what interesting fact or item "is trending".  I don't think "trending" is a verb so why do we keep using it as such? 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 

 
 
 
 
 
First of all I don't really like boneless wings.  They seem to be a little yucky and mushy. Secondly, don't wings have bones?  So...I think this is an oxymoron...or a mixed up phrase. It should be put back with the rest of the chicken.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
YOLO aka You Only Live Once is often used on Twitter but I haven't seen it used that often in an email.  I've entered some other internet abbreviations that are just about as annoying.  Yes, I use them often myself but sometimes I'm not even sure what some of the new ones mean.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Well, that's my take on the words on the 2013 list.  To see the full list, look here
 
Good Night for now.

I'm wearing:
Cardigan: Tulip oversized cardigan (olive)
Jeans: Emery Mesh Mid-Rise skinny jeans Kooks
Shoes: GF Square-toe Sophie (camel)

Poses: Adorkable