Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Love to Spell - S-P-E-L-L!

Dear Diary:

I've always been a good speller, even from my elementary school days.  I check a dictionary, encyclopedia or thesaurus if I'm not sure of the spelling.  I run spell check on my computer.  But lately I've run into a couple of ...ummm...problems!

I've always been aware of some spelling differences for Canadian, American or British words, such as neighbour, theatre, axe, cheque, or programme but I've recently done two posts where my spelling has been put to the test.
Awhile back, I used the word "dilemna".  I used spell-check and the word came up incorrect.  I thought it was right so I checked the online dictionary and it showed a double m spelling.  I went to an online encyclopedia and it confirmed it as an "alternate spelling".  My hard copy of the dictionary listed it.  Wow!!  I was floored!!!  I had always been taught to spell it with an "n".  I cruised the internet and found a discussion board about this spelling and a lot of people were just as confused as I was.  So I thought, "It's just one of those oddities...I can live with it."  Well not too many weeks later when I posted about "fuschia", I was met with the same fate.  ERRRRGGGHHHH!!!  I went through the process all over again.  When did the word change to "fuchsia"?

The best advice I got was when I was in university, the professor said, "The important thing to remember is to be consistent in usage and to follow a regular pattern when you spell." So please forgive me for my small indiscretions in spelling - could be Canadian / American / British way / or just Dreamer way.

Good Night for now.


I'm wearing:
Skin: LeLutka Lola (light)
Lipstick: LeLutka Lola (pure gloss)
Eyes: Miriel Hazel (no longer available)
Hair: 0 Style "You" (gift)


School uniform: hanamachi house of snake (SL marketplace)
Stockings: Shiny Things thigh-highs (charcoal)


Glasses: Oddities Gallery MKN Beat glasses


Blackboard: Really useful scripts Really useful classroom blackboard (with chalk)


Pose: Animation Factory Writing on a Chalkboard