Friday, January 7, 2011

It's Christmas Day - AGAIN!

Dear Diary:

Today is Christmas Day in the Orthodox Church or for those following the Julian calendar, including the Ukrainian culture.  I'm not of Ukrainian descent myself, but I have lots of friends who are and I like to celebrate along with them.  There are many traditions that are followed over the next week.

Food plays a big part during the Christmas celebration. It starts with a 12 course meal on Christmas Eve that is meatless.  I was able to participate at this supper with a friend and her family and I enjoyed every dish.  It was truly an experience for me.  I love to eat and all this food was really delicious.  It was extra special knowing that the women in the family (grandmother, mother and daughters) had prepared this meal with love and spirituality.

I decided this year I would bring something to my friend's family to say how grateful I was that they included me in this celebration.  I enjoy baking so it was suggested I make Kolatki, a delicious Christmas cookie in the Ukrainian tradition. 

 OK....now where is the recipe?  

I'm a good cook but I need to use every pot, pan, spoon in the whole kitchen. Well, after all, a girl needs to make an impression.

Alright.  If this is going to take place, let's get moving. I hope I have all the ingredients in the cupboard and 'fridge.

After a few fitful hours, I managed to get everything made.  The cookies turned out perfectly and I'm going to get changed out of my cooking clothes to something more festive to celebrate with my friends.  It will be a wonderful night, learning about the traditions in another culture.

З Різдвом Христовим!

Good Night for now.


I'm wearing:
Skin: LeLutka Mila / HUSH
Eyes: Miriel Hazel (no longer available)
Eyelashes: LeLutka Lola lashes
Hair: Truth Hair Saffron


Sweater: Clio free Italian blue sweater
Jeans: FD Entourage original (blue) (no longer available)
Apron: Cover Girl apron (white)


Earrings: Caroline's Jewelry large hoop earrings (silver)
Glasses: HOC apparel glasses (rectangular)


Furniture and accessories (pots, pans, microwave) The Infinite Kitchen


Poses: Baffle (Whisper)