Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hop-Flop-Toe-Step

Dear Diary:

When I was six, my Mom enrolled me in dance classes.  I took ballet and it was ok but I wasn't really the swan-type girl.  I loved the tap lessons.  So when I recently read an article stating that tap dancing was making a comeback in popularity once again, I was thrilled. 

Apparently, tap was taught in Canadian schools until the Second World War but stopped when the metal from the taps, was needed for the war.  Later, tap was divided into two different fields - the Broadway tap and the rhythmic tap - but presently they seem to be melding into one. 


Now the search is on for a tap course at a North American university.  There are programs for jazz or contemporary dance but as yet, tap courses are hard to find.  It would be nice to be able to get a credit for tap as you can for the other dance disciplines.

I still dig out my tap shoes and take a weekly lesson with a few of my "old" dancing buddies.  No more tapping to "Tea for Two" for us!  It's Radiohead or Queen now!

Good Night for now.

I'm wearing:
Dance outfit: KaWaii PaPer dancing star (black set) (SL Marketplace)
Shoes: lassitude & ennui Spectator shoes

Ballet bar with mirror (SL Marketplace

Pose: elymode Dance pose (gift)